Cuban authorities arrest dissident blogger Yoani Sánchez
Cuban blogger Yoani Sánchez and her husband Reinaldo Escobar were arrested on Thursday Oct. 4, Europa Press reported.
Independent journalist Guillermo Fariñas told EFE that Sánchez, who is critical of the Cuban government, was able to contact him on the phone to confirm she had been detained.
Sánchez is the author of the blog Generación Y and a contributor for Spanish daily El País. She has received several awards from international organizations for her reports on human rights violations in Cuba.
The blogger, her husband and a driver were arrested on their way to the city of Bayamo to cover the trial of Ángel Carromero, a Spanish citizen who is being charged with the involuntary manslaughter of two Cuban activists who died in a car accident, El País reported.
Government media in Cuba have said that Yoani Sánchez was planning manifestations that would have affected the trial, news agency AFP reported.
- Cuban blogger Yoani Sánchez is released after 30 hours of illegal arrest
- Cuba denies critical blogger Yoani Sánchez's travel to Brazil
- Two Cuban journalists arrested during activist Oswaldo Payá's funeral
- Cuban blogger Yoani Sánchez nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize
- Cuban blogger Yoani Sanchez is declared world hero for press freedom