Guards for state prosecutor brutally beat reporter in Mexico
The guard, Jorge Ricardo Torres Nery, who worked for the attorney general, confessed that he and two other guards attacked the reporter on Tuesday, Dec. 4, over a car accident, according to the news agency Notimex.
The reporter claimed he received four anonymous threats on Nov. 12, demanding he stop talking about the state attorney general, according to the organization Article 19.
Over a year ago, members of the state prosecutor's office detained the journalist and threatened to kill him after he reported on clashes between police and criminals, reported the same organization.
- 74 journalists killed during the last three years in Latin America, says IFEX impunity report
- CPJ launches Speak Justice campaign to fight impunity
- Argentine reporter hospitalized after exposure to illegal crop dusting
- Mexican TV network asks Nicaraguan authorities to investigate if its employees took part in money laundering scandal
- Groups react to court's decision to suspend controversial media law in Argentina