Authorities investigate suspicious death of sports journalist at Argentine soccer club
Argentine police are investigating the death of a sports reporter whose body was found in the Racing Club soccer team's swimming pool, a place where a fan club called the Imperial Guard is known to meet, reported the newspaper La Nación.
Journalist Nicolás Pacheco, host and producer for the radio show Racing o Nada, Racing or Nothing, was found floating dead in the Buenos Aires sports club pool after participating in a weekly barbecue with members of the Racing Stones, a faction of the Imperial Guard sports fan club, according to Perfil. The head of the sports facility, Rubén Guevara, said the journalist's death was suspicious considering the body's head trauma and the blood stains on the edge of the pool, reported Infobae.
According to the organization Salvemos al Fútbol, Let's Save Soccer, 66 people in Argentina died inside and outside soccer stadiums during the last 10 years because of soccer hooligan violence, according to a report from BBC Mundo.
- TV news segment canceled following threats from soccer fan club in Brazil
- Mexican soccer teams ban access to reporters, photographers
- Venezuelan sports journalist threatened by soccer fans
- Soccer fan threatens Colombian journalist
- Guatemalan reporter denied access to soccer game after reporting on fan violence