Fox News "mole" accused of grand larceny, served with warrant
Joe Muto, the former Fox News associate producer who admitted to being a "mole" for Gawker, had his iPhone, laptop and notebooks confiscated when he was served with a search warrant the morning of Wednesday, April 25, Muto reported via Twitter, according to Poynter.
Muto tweeted that according to the warrant, Fox News is accusing him of grand larceny, reported the Huffington Post. Muto, who worked on The O’Reilly Factor, said he was paid $5,000 write for Gawker about what it was like working inside the Fox News network. He published just two columns before he outed himself, saying his bosses were on to him.
On April 12, Gawker received a cease and desist letter from Fox, which demanded Gawker to unpublish any information from Muto, adding that both the website and Muto would be "the subject of further extensive investigation" to determine "criminal and civil wrongdoing."
According to Poynter, earlier this month Fox News Chairman and CEO Roger Ailes, while speaking during a lecture series at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, referred to Muto saying, “The mole shows a culture that believes in theft, a lack of loyalty, turning on his colleagues, lying to management, and there are some real, ethical, serious questions about it.”
Forbes questioned whether this will turn into a civil or criminal case.
- Gawker's mole at Fox News outed, fired
- U.S. journalist fired for posting "fake" news release on Tumblr detailing his recent job offer
- U.S. news outlets seek more interaction, innovation on Election Day, says Poynter
- Steve Jobs: Apple and its troubled relationship with the press
- U.S. TV journalists accused of being FBI moles