Billionaire Soros gives $1 million to Media Matters to fight Fox News
Media Matters is a non-profit website that monitors conservative media. In a statement, Media Matters founder and CEO David Brock said, "Fox has transformed itself into a 24-7 GOP attack machine, dividing Americans through fear-mongering and falsehoods and undermining the legitimacy of our government for partisan political ends...We are especially pleased that in this moment of hidden right-wing billionaire money corrupting our democracy, Mr. Soros, upon deciding to support our efforts, quickly and transparently has made that support public."
Soros said he decided to support Media Matters because it is "one of the few groups that attempts to hold Fox News accountable for the false and misleading information they so often broadcast. I am supporting Media Matters in an effort to more widely publicize the challenge Fox News poses to civil and informed discourse in our democracy."
Following the announcement of the donation, Fox News conservative host Glenn Beck likened the contribution to a $1 million "bounty" on his head. Addressing Soros, he said that if anything happens to him, "blood will be on your hands, sir."
[Disclosure: The Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas has been a recipient of grants from Mr. Soros' Open Society Foundations.]
Other Related Headlines:
» Knight Center (Media mogul Rupert Murdoch gives $1 million to U.S. Republicans)
- Plaza Pública: In-depth, nonprofit news site in Guatemala tackles taboo themes (Interview)
- 13 lessons from ISOJ to innovate journalism according to the blog #nohacefaltapapel
- SPECIAL REPORT: New Cuban journalism emerges on the internet, beyond the official and opposition media
- The bet on fact checking: journalists create more initiatives to verify public discourse and reveal false news
- ISOJ conference to cover main issues of digital journalism, from industry’s disruption to mobile revolution