Facebook reveals list of most-shared articles of 2011
Facebook has unveiled the top 40 most-shared articles of 2011 on the social network site, reported Mashable. Interestingly, all 40 came from the same six major media outlets: Yahoo (13), CNN (11), The New York Times (7), The Huffington Post (7), The Wall Street Journal (1), and the Washington Post (1).
"The stories range from cute to thought provoking," Facebook wrote.
The most-shared story -- which technically was a series of aerial photos -- was from The New York Times: "Satellite Photos of Japan, Before and After the Quake and Tsunami." The story was shared more than 600,000 times, reported the Telegraph.
The Verge noted that it's hard to draw any real conclusions from Facebook's list, other than that "it's clear that millions of individuals" follow the same mix of traditional and new media news sites.
See the complete list of stories here.
- Counting down the year's "best of" news, social media lists
- Newspapers for Facebook: Washington Post, Guardian and other media outlets launch social news app
- Facebook launches new service to publish newsworthy content from social media
- Facebook vs. Twitter: Are people actually reading the articles, or just sharing them via social media?
- Maryland news site set to become a Facebook-only outlet