Guatemalan reporter robbed again, and another journalist killed in the capital
Marvin del Cid Acevedo, part of the investigative team for the Guatemalan newspaper elPeriódico, had his home broken into for a second time, and his laptop, where he stores all the documents associated with his journalistic work, was stolen, reported Cerigua.
In the interview in Cerigua, the journalist expressed his frustration over the robberies, and the lack of support from press organizations. He also said that for safety reasons, he is not sleeping at home.
In a separate incident, the AFP news agency reported that journalist Víctor Hugo Juárez was tortured and killed in Guatemala City by unknown persons. Juárez, 50, was owner of two online newspapers, Wanima News and Guatemala Empresarial. He was killed along with Byron Dávila Díaz, owner of a small graphic design company, added DPA.
Other Related Headlines:
» elPeriódico (in Spanish) (Journalists as cannon fodder (opinion))
- Plaza Pública: In-depth, nonprofit news site in Guatemala tackles taboo themes (Interview)
- Mexican reporter Marcela Turati calls on U.S. journalists to investigate trafficking networks north of the border
- 13 lessons from ISOJ to innovate journalism according to the blog #nohacefaltapapel
- How to use Facebook Live for journalism and improve user engagement: Lessons from Spanish-language media
- Full speech of Alfredo Corchado, recipient of Lovejoy Award at Colby College