Blogger, political party leader shot to death in Brazil
Edinaldo Figueira, newspaper founder, blogger and political party leader was shot to death Wednesday, June 15, in Brazil, according to Terra. Figueira, president of the Serra do Mel municipal chapter of Brazil's Workers' Party (PT in Portuguese) in Brazil's northern state of Rio Grande do Norte, had started a local newspaper and maintained a blog about local issues, according to Rede Brasil Atual.
The state leadership of the PT party did not rule out the possibility that he was killed for political reasons. "I can't talk about the source that gave us information, but there are indications that Edinaldo Filgueira had received threats," said Eraldo Silva, PT president in Rio Grande do Norte, as quoted by Diário de Natal.
However, Silva also stressed that with the attack on Filgueira, "the press also was attacked."
- Five suspects arrested in killing of blogger in northeast Brazil
- CPJ welcomes arrest of five suspects in killing of Brazilian blogger
- Brazil, suffering from judicial censorship, is second behind Mexico for journalists killed in Latin America
- Third journalist in 15 days is killed in Brazil
- Critical newspaper owner is the second Brazilian journalist shot to death in a month