Knight Center
Knight Center

Topic “Brazil”

Brazilian journalist survives after being shot while distributing newspapers in São Paulo state

Brazilian journalist Evaldo de Oliveira, 49, was shot while distributing local newspapers on the evening of Sept. 26 in Franco da Rocha, a city in São Paulo state. Read more »


Brazilian government withdraws autonomy of state broadcaster EBC and tries again to fire its president

The Brazilian government changed the structure, as well as the rules of appointment and dismissal of presidents, of the Brazilian Communications Company, which runs a news agency and broadcasting stations of the federal government. The changes get rid of the Board of Trustees that had been created to give the EBC autonomy from the government.

Along with the changes published on Sept. 2, the government of President Michel Temer dismissed journalist Ricardo Melo for the second time and named Laerte Rímoli as president of the EBC. However, they have reversed that decision. Read more »


Students of video course from ANJ and the Knight Center receive training at YouTube Space in São Paulo

Fifteen students selected from the Massive Open Online Course (MOOC) in Portuguese, “News video production for the internet,” participated in a training event at YouTube Space in São Paulo on Aug. 31. The students attended a special workshop on video production taught by YouTube staff. Read more »


Brazilian journalists create digital news platform specializing on gender issues and data journalism

Next month, a group of women Brazilian journalists plan to launch a digital news platform that will use data journalism to address issues related to gender.  Read more »


Journalist killed in central Brazil received threats, family says

Journalist João Miranda do Carmo was killed on the evening of July 24 in the city of Santo Antônio do Descoberto, Goiás state, in central Brazil, reported newspaper O Popular. Read more »


Update: Brazilian Journalists suffer judicial harassment after publishing reports on salaries of judges and prosecutors

Update (July 1, 2016): The legal processes and hearings against the Brazilian newspaper Gazeta do Povo were temporarily suspended on June 30 by a judge of the Federal Supreme Court, Rosa Weber, according to O Estado de S. Paulo. Read more »


UPDATE: Censored Brazilian journalist is allowed to republish news about Operation Car Wash

Update (June 16, 2016): Journalist Marcelo Auler was permitted to republish eight of the ten articles censored on his blog. Judge Vanessa Bassani threw out the lawsuit for compensation filed by investigator Maurício Moscardi Grillo after finding an error in the original petition: the home address of the investigator is located in a neighborhood served by another court, which means the original judge should not have heard the case. Read more »


WhatsApp restores communication between Brazilian newspaper and readers after a 16-day block

Following spread of the news that WhatsApp had blocked communication between the Rio de Janeiro-based newspaper Extra and 70,000 readers, the publication’s account on the messaging service was restored late June 9, according to information published on the daily’s website. Read more »


WhatsApp cancels accounts and blocks communication between Brazilian newspaper and 70,000 readers

The newspaper Extra from Rio de Janeiro is known internationally as a pioneer in the use of digital messaging platforms, especially WhatsApp, in order to communicate with thousands of its readers. However, Extra said that more than 70,000 of its readers who access their WhatsApp accounts have been hampered by the sudden cancellation of the newspaper’s numbers on the messaging platform because robots have identified them as possible spam. Read more »


Supreme Court determines that Ricardo Melo can return as CEO of Brazilian Communications Company

Journalist Ricardo Melo will be reappointed to the post of CEO of the Brazilian Communications Company (EBC for its acronym in Portuguese) after being removed more than two weeks ago by the country’s interim president. On Thursday, June 2, judge of the Federal Supreme Court (STF) Dias Toffoli granted an injunction authorizing Melo to return to work. Read more »


Newsletter





Please Subscribe to our Weekly Newsletter Below!

Full Name

Email *
Select the lists you wish to subscribe to
Boletim Semanal (Português)

Boletín semanal (Español)

Weekly Newsletter (English)
email marketing
by activecampaign