A recent court victory for the Associated Press could limit “fair use” on the Internet, according to paidContent. Read more »
After receiving threats on 45 banners hung in several cities across the state of Coahuila, Mexico, the newspaper Zócalo announced that it would cease reporting on organized crime effective Monday, March 11. Read more »
Update: According to the Sunday, March 10 print edition of El Diario, authorities found Campos dead in the city of Aguaprieta, Sonora. They presume the cause of death was suicide.
"Unofficially, Campos was found hanged inside a hotel room, however, the official cause of death has yet to be determined," reported the newspaper.
Authorities notified Campos' family of his death on Saturday, March 9. Read more »
On the morning of Friday, March 8, political journalist Rodrigo Neto was killed in Ipatinga, Minas Gerais, after having received several death threats, which, according to him, were connected to his reporting, reported the newspaper Vale do Aço. Read more »
Authorities in the Mexican border state of Coahuila had to remove 45 signs and banners threatening the newspaper Zócalo that appeared in several cities across the state on Thursday, March 7, reported the website CNN México. Read more »
Venezuela's Information Minister Ernesto Villegas announced on Wednesday, Feb. 20, the establishment of the new Bolivarian Communication and Information System, reported teleSUR. According to the minister, the new apparatus should generate content different from that found in a capitalist culture and strive for "true independence." Read more »
Headlines from our blog:
- NSA surveillance coverage wins 2014 Pulitzer Prizes Apr 15
- Argentine organization demands political leaders stop stigmatizing reporters Apr 14
- Kidnapped Venezuelan journalist Nairobi Pinto freed after 8 days Apr 14
- Salary for journalists in Mexico among the 5 lowest in the country, survey finds Apr 14
- Digital vulnerability could endanger online media’s private information Apr 10
- Knight Center’s global conference ISOJ underlines sense of optimism for the future of journalism Apr 10
- Google-Knight Center Fellows present media projects during Ibero-American Colloquium for Digital Journalism Apr 10
Subscribe to our twice weekly newsletter about journalism in the Americas.
Choose your language: