A recent court victory for the Associated Press could limit “fair use” on the Internet, according to paidContent. Read more »
After receiving threats on 45 banners hung in several cities across the state of Coahuila, Mexico, the newspaper Zócalo announced that it would cease reporting on organized crime effective Monday, March 11. Read more »
Update: According to the Sunday, March 10 print edition of El Diario, authorities found Campos dead in the city of Aguaprieta, Sonora. They presume the cause of death was suicide.
"Unofficially, Campos was found hanged inside a hotel room, however, the official cause of death has yet to be determined," reported the newspaper.
Authorities notified Campos' family of his death on Saturday, March 9. Read more »
On the morning of Friday, March 8, political journalist Rodrigo Neto was killed in Ipatinga, Minas Gerais, after having received several death threats, which, according to him, were connected to his reporting, reported the newspaper Vale do Aço. Read more »
Authorities in the Mexican border state of Coahuila had to remove 45 signs and banners threatening the newspaper Zócalo that appeared in several cities across the state on Thursday, March 7, reported the website CNN México. Read more »
Venezuela's Information Minister Ernesto Villegas announced on Wednesday, Feb. 20, the establishment of the new Bolivarian Communication and Information System, reported teleSUR. According to the minister, the new apparatus should generate content different from that found in a capitalist culture and strive for "true independence." Read more »
Headlines from our blog:
- Honduran journalist who denounced corruption takes refuge in human rights office Jul 27
- Violence against Mexican journalists now concentrated in the southern states, with Veracruz in the spotlight Jul 23
- Brazilian journalist wins the Recognition of Excellence Award from the García Márquez Foundation Jul 23
- Mexican journalist Carmen Aristegui loses court battle to return to the radio, describes the ruling as "disastrous" Jul 18
- Artigo 19's documentary on late journalist Rodrigo Neto looks at impunity in Brazil Jul 17
- Registration open for free online course in Portuguese on data journalism techniques Jul 16
- Reported harassment of Nicaraguan journalists highlights dangers of reporting during protests Jul 13
Subscribe to our twice weekly newsletter about journalism in the Americas.
Choose your language: