The top 100 newspapers in the US are increasing their use of interactive and multimedia features on their websites as new technologies and content management tools allow them to improve their digital presence. Read more »
A recent court victory for the Associated Press could limit “fair use” on the Internet, according to paidContent. Read more »
After receiving threats on 45 banners hung in several cities across the state of Coahuila, Mexico, the newspaper Zócalo announced that it would cease reporting on organized crime effective Monday, March 11. Read more »
Update: According to the Sunday, March 10 print edition of El Diario, authorities found Campos dead in the city of Aguaprieta, Sonora. They presume the cause of death was suicide.
"Unofficially, Campos was found hanged inside a hotel room, however, the official cause of death has yet to be determined," reported the newspaper.
Authorities notified Campos' family of his death on Saturday, March 9. Read more »
On the morning of Friday, March 8, political journalist Rodrigo Neto was killed in Ipatinga, Minas Gerais, after having received several death threats, which, according to him, were connected to his reporting, reported the newspaper Vale do Aço. Read more »
Authorities in the Mexican border state of Coahuila had to remove 45 signs and banners threatening the newspaper Zócalo that appeared in several cities across the state on Thursday, March 7, reported the website CNN México. Read more »
Headlines from our blog:
- Study on digital journalism initiatives in Brazil shows little planning and revenue linked to advertising and content May 25
- Another possible kidnapping of journalists in Colombia; Catalina Botero stresses journalists’ role in dangerous areas May 24
- Spanish journalist disappears in area of Colombia controlled by rebel groups May 24
- After harassing traditional media in Ecuador, Correa and his followers focus on digital media May 23
- Caucus on Alternative Information and Communication of Indigenous Peoples asks to be recognized by the UN May 23
- Fundamedios’ “Tweetometer” monitors official discourse against the press in Ecuador May 18
- Mexican digital news site Aristegui Noticias recognized with Knight International Journalism Award May 18