A recent court victory for the Associated Press could limit “fair use” on the Internet, according to paidContent. Read more »
After receiving threats on 45 banners hung in several cities across the state of Coahuila, Mexico, the newspaper Zócalo announced that it would cease reporting on organized crime effective Monday, March 11. Read more »
Update: According to the Sunday, March 10 print edition of El Diario, authorities found Campos dead in the city of Aguaprieta, Sonora. They presume the cause of death was suicide.
"Unofficially, Campos was found hanged inside a hotel room, however, the official cause of death has yet to be determined," reported the newspaper.
Authorities notified Campos' family of his death on Saturday, March 9. Read more »
On the morning of Friday, March 8, political journalist Rodrigo Neto was killed in Ipatinga, Minas Gerais, after having received several death threats, which, according to him, were connected to his reporting, reported the newspaper Vale do Aço. Read more »
Authorities in the Mexican border state of Coahuila had to remove 45 signs and banners threatening the newspaper Zócalo that appeared in several cities across the state on Thursday, March 7, reported the website CNN México. Read more »
Venezuela's Information Minister Ernesto Villegas announced on Wednesday, Feb. 20, the establishment of the new Bolivarian Communication and Information System, reported teleSUR. According to the minister, the new apparatus should generate content different from that found in a capitalist culture and strive for "true independence." Read more »
Headlines from our blog:
- Ecuadoran journalist recounts how he was fired for not accepting newspaper’s conditions for his Tweets Aug 28
- Colombian Program to Protect Journalists celebrates 15 years amid many worries Aug 28
- Online course on Freedom of Expression for journalists and justice system workers of Coahuila, Mexico: Registration open Aug 26
- Man sentenced to almost 30 years for 2013 murders of two Brazilian journalists Aug 24
- Database shares research and methods of investigative reporters from Latin America Aug 24
- FLIP launches 'wiki' about mechanisms of protection for journalists in Colombia and Mexico Aug 21
- "We journalists cannot find the reason why they're killing us," says Veracruz reporter living in asylum Aug 20
Subscribe to our twice weekly newsletter about journalism in the Americas.
Choose your language: