The top 100 newspapers in the US are increasing their use of interactive and multimedia features on their websites as new technologies and content management tools allow them to improve their digital presence. Read more »
A recent court victory for the Associated Press could limit “fair use” on the Internet, according to paidContent. Read more »
After receiving threats on 45 banners hung in several cities across the state of Coahuila, Mexico, the newspaper Zócalo announced that it would cease reporting on organized crime effective Monday, March 11. Read more »
Update: According to the Sunday, March 10 print edition of El Diario, authorities found Campos dead in the city of Aguaprieta, Sonora. They presume the cause of death was suicide.
"Unofficially, Campos was found hanged inside a hotel room, however, the official cause of death has yet to be determined," reported the newspaper.
Authorities notified Campos' family of his death on Saturday, March 9. Read more »
On the morning of Friday, March 8, political journalist Rodrigo Neto was killed in Ipatinga, Minas Gerais, after having received several death threats, which, according to him, were connected to his reporting, reported the newspaper Vale do Aço. Read more »
Authorities in the Mexican border state of Coahuila had to remove 45 signs and banners threatening the newspaper Zócalo that appeared in several cities across the state on Thursday, March 7, reported the website CNN México. Read more »
Headlines from our blog:
- Community Radio in Latin America: fighting to be recognized Feb 12
- With 24 years of broadcasting, Radio Heliópolis engages and transforms community on the outskirts of São Paulo Feb 11
- "Peace in the headlines, fear in the newsroom:” FLIP report about increased attacks on press freedom in Colombia Feb 11
- Digital journalism growing in Latin America, but financial sustainability still a challenge Feb 10
- Another journalist killed in Mexico: body of kidnapped journalist from Veracruz found in Puebla Feb 09
- Méxicoleaks recognized by the Index on Censorship for digital activism Feb 09
- Alert issued in Mexico after alleged kidnapping of reporter from her home in Veracruz Feb 08
Subscribe to our twice weekly newsletter about journalism in the Americas.
Choose your language: